Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Tuesday: Goodbye Day

Mike, Paula, and Violet came over at 11:00 and we went off to Barnes & Noble. Violet wanted to get a book by a particular writer, but they didn't have it. Mike had asked if a store nearby had suitcases--they needed another to go back to Singapore--and I  mentioned I was planning to donate a large one I no longer need (I bought a new one before I went to New Mexico). Did he want it? Yes, he did, and it was in Ellen's shed, so we drove over to Ojai. El was at school, of course, and Greg was out, but we all have keys. Chatted for a bit, then discussed where to go for lunch. 

Mike, the compulsive type like his crazy mother, looked various eateries up and thought we should check out a few, stopping first at the Ojai Kitchen. I had been there once, but at a kind of funeral home seminar years ago, so wasn't familiar with the menu. We looked, decided it was okay, and ate there. It was surprisingly good, not readymade and out-of-a-can stuff, but actually made to order and well done. Three of the five of us got breakfast (although it was almost one) and declared it as good as any they'd had. What was particularly notable was that the orange juice was freshly squeezed. I got a sandwich with sweet potatoes fries, shared them around, and we agreed they were about the best we'd had.   

After that culinary adventure, we went back to Ellen's to chat a bit, but soon Mike and his contingent had to leave, as Paula had a meeting at 3:00. They fly back to Singapore today and what a wrench it alway is to say goodbye; yesterday was no exception. Took this pic, showing from left, Cessy,  Paula, Violet, and Mike:
(Cessy, a notorious prima donna, refused to sit on the couch.)

As ever, I hated saying goodbye to my far-flung family, but had to. At least, Violet will be back for camp in the summer and, presumably, Mike will be with her. I was driving home, then remembered the  Dudley House annual meeting and potluck is tonight. Damn, what should I bring? I thought of going to Von's for dip ingredients, but then remembered the Irish cream I had made for Christmas gifts. I still had one bottle left and decided to take that instead and made up the label. BTW, this is considerably bigger than it looks here: 
Viola! 
*********************************************

Oops--I forgot to add this picture of Julie and me on the Promenade after the BCNN lunch at Feeney's on Monday. Sent it to her and noted she looks like a movie star:
Me? Just alive and kickin', but you ain't seen nothin' yet.

No comments:

Monday

Washed sheets, changed the bed, showered and washed my hair before breakfast. Ate, then fussed around with this and that. I paid the water b...