Monday, January 22, 2024

Sunday

Did my Sunday morning stuff: once-a-week pill, changing bedclothes, and crossword. After breakfast, I putzed around for a bit, then walked over to Von's for veggies and calcium citrate. They didn't have any, but I had nice chat with the pharmacist, a lovely young woman, born in Washington state and of Vietnamese extrication. When I told her I've been there, she confessed that she never had and we laughed about it. Went to CVS for the calcium citrate, but have to ask Dr. F. a question about it. 

Diane emailed me at her usual early time. She and I will do our "lunch at the library" thing on Wednesday and she'll bring grapefruit wine for both of us. (Grapefruit wine? Have I died and gone to heaven?)

Spent several hours in the kitchen; slow-cooked two pounds of carrots with olive oil and Italian seasoning; blanched and "frosted" a head of cauliflower I had just bought and popped it in the oven; and chopped three onions to store in the freezer. I had a fourth onion, which I was going to discard, as it had grown a stalk, but impulsively, I planted it in the patio instead: 

                                          

Ellen called and we had a good, long, mother-daughter talk. She assured me onions would grow from my plant--what fun! Why buy onions when you could grow your own? Of course, I love onions and eat a lot of them, so soon, I hope to have a whole field!  😄 

💧💧💧💧💧💧💧💧💧💧

This email came today from a member of my women's club: 

Dear BCNN Members,  I don't like sharing this update but believe in sharing reality. I was in ICU with 104 fever and blood pressure 40/? - will probably be discharged tomorrow to home hospice. That is expected to be a very short time - days or a bit longer. I have not eaten this year and there is no current way to safely give me nutrition due the cancer shutting down my digestive system. I weigh 100. I wonder what grade I was in when I weighed that. I'm ridiculously weak and exhausted but at peace with God's plan for me.Many of you know I do crafty stuff and have lots to share. I will set up a couple days for people to choose a piece or a couple for a small home Vincente. I am very fragile and may need you to step out of the room a bit to let me de-stress. It's a hospice environment; some ugly stuff - but it is what it is and I'm making the best of it. I never know what my day will be like. Text Christi at 714 345-8945 to see if it's ok.  Carolee Winslow

💧💧💧💧💧💧💧💧💧💧

I was just stunned at this. I know Carolee only slightly, but she's always been friendly and kind to me.  She was president of the club a few years ago (there are more than two hundred members) and recently took over The Yearbook, which includes pictures and bios of members. Carolee is tall (it was terrible to read she now weights a hundred pounds) blonde, and attractive, always dressed nicely, and is very outgoing. I wrote her back to ask what I could bring her and/ or do for her.

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...