Friday, December 07, 2018

Lunch at Diane's

Back in my routine, I walked Kimball in somewhat chilly weather which became beautifully sunny later. Went to T.O.P.S. to get weighed in, but begged off staying for the meeting. For one thing, I wanted to get ready for my lunch at Diane's and for another, I knew the program was going to consist of chair exercises, which bores the hell out of me. I was up a bit from last week, to 128.3, but I'm perfectly okay with that.
Had breakfast, showered, and dressed, then went out to wait for the van. It came within the time frame I had been told, and I got to Diane's a few minutes before noon. She greeted me at the door, then we took the elevator to her second floor flat.
There's no question this is a very small apartment. I'm not sure of the actual dimensions, but it's noticeable smaller even than Betty's in Santa Barbara, which is  pretty small itself. However, it has a nice balcony with a lovely view of the green lawn, trees, and hills in the distance. This is a low-income, senior citizen residence, run by the Salvation Army, and is one of the nicest I've seen. For Diane, it's an enormous improvement on her last digs, a studio at the Ventura Inn. 
At this point, she has little furniture aside from a futon sofa, a small table, and folding chairs, but all that is inconsequential when your eyes move to the living room wall. She has two, very large (maybe  3 by 5 feet) gold-framed pictures, one of the Archangel Michael, the other another angel. They look to be from the 16th century or so and they are just spectacular; Diane said she bought them for $500 each in Mexico, where she lived for 15 years. Gorgeous.
We had a nice lunch of Asian salad, something like blintzes with cheese in them, and  what you might call eggplant fritters, baked, with a white spread on them. It was all very good, especially as we shared a  bottle of Chardonnay.
After lunch, we went to a gathering room down the hall to see Crazy Rich Asians.  I had seen it before, but liked it and enjoyed it again. It was over about 4:30, we went back to her place, then I gathered my things and went outside to wait for the van. It came in a few minutes and off I went after a very enjoyable day.

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...