Thursday, December 20, 2018

Aloha And An Angel

Another fun and active day. Walked Kimball and after breakfast, wrote out some more Christmas cards. Dropped them in the mail slot here and drove to the store for lettuce and stuff. Called a particular place in Santa Barbara and arranged for a birthday gift for Betty. Made lunch, ate, then took off for the bus. At that point, Ellen called to see if I wanted to celebrate my birthday tomorrow, although she and Greg have to work, or Saturday and go early to help her trim the tree, then stay over. I opted for the latter and am looking forward to it.
It wasn't too warm, so I was glad I wore my coat. Got off at the mission and walked down Main, stopping in a few stores looking at this and that, but didn't buy anything. When I got to the library block, I veered toward the beach and The Promenade. Walked to the fairgrounds and by the time I got back to the Aloha, it was 4:00 and time for Happy Hour.
Carolyn and Nancy were already there and we sat on the patio, which is protected from the wind and was comfortable. I had an Aloha dark ale--pretty good--and yummy broiled potato skins, with cheese and bacon. Nancy gave each of us socks she had knitted, mine purple with a pattern and little green beads in them.
We had a good time and left when it started to get dark. I refused with thanks Carolyn's offer to drive me to Main and walked there. I was about to stop in the library when Betty called and we had a nice chat. I got a book (first volume of Bing Crosby's bio), then went across to the bus. At that point, neice Carolyn called to invite me to go to dinner with them tomorrow. I declined with thanks and now we're trying to figure out a way for me to see nephew Wes, who will be coming in from Chicago, but leaving on the day after Christmas. Tentatively, I'll go Christmas Eve morning just for a few hours; if El doesn't, I'll just take the bus in.
I met Tony L. on the bus. He used to be at SCAN and is now director of something or other at the Y. and we enjoyed talking.  I always liked him.
When I got  home, I found on my door a card and a lovely little angel in cloth. They were left by Suzanne and happily, I had her present ready, a coloring book (yes, she likes to do that, but I don't hld it against her) I had bought when I was in New Mexico. I quickly wrapped it, rang her bell, thanked her for the angel, and gave it to her. We sat and talked comfortably for a half hour or so, then I said good night--and goodbye, as she leaves for Arizona on Sunday morning.
Nice day, but now I'd better get serious about finishing my Christmas shopping.

No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...