Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Rain And A Program

Because I got up so late, I didn't get to Kimball until after 8:00. Started off on my walk and when I got partly around, it started to rain. Reversed course and went back; I think I got in at least a mile, anyway.
It rained fairly heavily through part of the day, but I didn't let that stop me from errand-running. Went to the office to ask if Javier could look at my shower pull, or whatever it's called. The tub faucet has a little round leaver on it, that you pull when you want the water to revert to the shower head (and I always do; I probably haven't taken a tub bath for ten years). It's gotten very hard to pull it out. Javier came, tried it, and told me you have to turn the water on stronger--who knew? Anyway, now it works.
While I was at the office, I chatted with Bianca, the manager. She mentioned her husband is on a work trip to Jersey--he does something or other with BMW.  My nieces's husband also works there, so I called Joan to ask if Jim might know Bianca's husband. She'll ask him and we had a good chat.
Inspired to call other family, I talked to my brother, Jim, who's 91, then Larry, who's 85. Both seemed okay, but slowing a bit, I think.  I want to plan a trip to the east coast this year to see both of them, as well as my grandson and his boys.
Stopped at Enterprise because my car remote, like the shower thingy, gradually become difficult to press.  Jason, who sold me the car, greeted me cheerfully and immediately took it and replaced the battery, Works fine now.
Betty called to ask if I had been evacuated. Why in the world--? Well, she watches television and, ever ready to believe the worst scenario, she heard of the mud slides above Ojai. She also called Ellen and got the same info. Anyway, luckily, the rain has stopped and I hope won't occur again for a time.
I debated with myself whether go or not to the Sierra Club meeting that Rachel, from Toastmasters, had invited me to. The program speaker was Ken McAlpine, talking on his book, Islands Apart at the library.  I had about decided against it, but then the rain stopped and the sky turned--instantly, it seemed--beautifully blue.  Since I didn't want to give myself a pass to skip my town walk, I drove there, parked at the library, walked to the museum, and attended the meeting.
I'm so glad I did. Ken is a dynamite speaker and I can't wait to get his book and earlier ones he's written. I met him after and we chatted; interestingly, when he heard my name, he said his sister-in-law's  name is "Pat Malloy."   She was there, I met her, and we laughed over the coincidence.
The library has to close up at 7:00, so I got home just a bit after.  I want to look into the Sierra Club and am especially interested in their hikes.

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...