Friday, January 12, 2018

Islands Apart

It was mighty chilly walking Kimball at seven a.m.--all the way down to 50. (I realize these things are relative.) Did  it, though.
After breakfast, I put in a huge load of wash and did the back and forth thing. Finally, at long last, I got all the mountain of paperwork (family pictures and other memorabilia) in the filing cabinet. I hope they're in the right places and Byrne isn't mixed with Figenshu, but I'll let it be for now.  Asked Ken McAlpine to be my friend on Facebook and was pleased when he accepted, plus send me back a very cordial message. I ordered his latest book from Amazon--Islands Apart: A Year On the Edge of Civilization.  It's about exploring the Channel Islands; can't wait to read it and I want to get his earlier book about his experiences on the east coast.
I received from Carol F. in the regular mail, one of those tiresome, cliche-ridden memes--a two-pager about living life to the fullest, seizing the day, and generally speaking, being glad you're old and decrepit--damn! Now I have to figure a way to thank her, but forestall getting any further such claptrap. Talk about being islands apart.
Got mushrooms, cucumbers, and watermelon at the store, then went to town for the usual trek. At the library, I started re-reading Elizabeth Edward's Resilience. It's almost unbearable at times: the death of her boy at 16, her husband's betrayal, the recurrence of the cancer that killed her in 2010.  She was an incredible writer; I cried at places and actually feel bereft knowing she's gone. I took out her other book, Saving Graces, and am enjoying(?) that, too.
Talked to Betty, who's back home; she said the roads are pretty well clear now.

No comments:

Monday

Set off for the mall and Target at 10:30. I got some staples (plant milk, blueberries, grapefruit, etc.), but decided to hold off buying the...