Tuesday, January 09, 2018

Drizzle and Dudley House

A few drops fell while I was walking Kimball at 7:00, but no substantial rain came down until later. I was a little worried about Ellen, as school started again yesterday. She had said she was concerned about not being able to get home to fee Sebastian, as Greg had a doctor's appointment in Santa Barbara.  However, I called her later and there was no problem.
Changed my bed and took two sets of sheets to the laundry place, along with other items. By 10:30, I was already finished washing, drying, folding, and putting away. Did a few things on this machine, tidied up a bit, then went to WinCo for bread and more fruit. I was delighted to find what they call "country loaf," which looks a lot like pumpernickel, which I've been unable to find here. I bought it and will enjoy it with my cottage cheese and orange for breakfast today.  I also bought a red cabbage, cored and cut it, and put it in the microwave. Betty called; she's still in L.A. at Stephen's and Robyn's, and is scheduled to leave tomorrow.
After lunch, we actually experienced a real rain, the first since--by my recollection--last March. Actually, we would have called it "drizzle" in Jersey, but at least it was wet.  I wasn't going to walk in it, so instead of town, I drove to the mall and walked what I think approximated my mile and a half. I don't know how long those stores can stay open; Macy's, Sears, and most of the others were practically deserted, and even Target had few customers. Of course, it was raining, which Californians seem to regard as a kind of necessary, but scary, phenomenon, like labor pains during childbirth.
Went to Dudley House for the annual meeting. When I walked in, I saw a nice spread--uh-oh, I hadn't realized it was a pot luck. But there was plenty of food (and wine--these people are civilized), and I enjoy them. There was a program on the St. Francis damn disaster of 1928--it burst, roared down Santa Paula valley, more than 400 killed--to a guy whose wife is active in the Santa Paula theatre. I chatted with him, we exchanged cards, and we'll see what might result from that. There was a business meeting--very informal--and it wasn't over until after 9:00.  However, I greatly enjoyed it and like this group.  Also, I signed up for docent duties in February and May; must turn my attention to studying the script.
Yoicks! I didn't get up until 7:25 because I stayed up until 10:30 watching television after I got home. Must stop this riotous living!

No comments:

Tuesday

Sent a welcome e-mail to my new tenants, mother and daughter, Laura and Prudence. I must remember to check to see if I need to send anything...