Tuesday, January 02, 2018

First Widder Lunch of the Year

Got up at a better time--a little after 6:00--and did the usual, then took off for Kimball.  But what was this? The gates were closed, so I couldn't drive in. I was surprised, as I don't remember any other day they were closed. Aha--I was at Ellen's over Christmas, so didn't get there; they must have been closed then, too. Big Mean Mimi suggested I skip it: "One day won't hurt," but Virtuous Rosemary prevailed and I drove all the way to town and did that one.
It was a little eerie because everything was still closed and there were few but the homeless (the homeless we always have with us, as somebody said about some other people), but there was no problem and after I got back to the car, I was glad I did it. Had breakfast, did a few chores, showered and washed my hair, packed my tangerines, then took off to the Sizzler for the widder lunch.
There were only five of us--Vera was under the weather--but it included a newcomer, whom we all welcomed. Her first name is Keller, which she said is German, she's 52, and teaches at Oxnard College. Her husband died only ten months ago; he was her second and she has children from her first.  She's a native Californian, but lived in Virginia and D.C. for many years before moving back here.
I liked the Sizzler more than I thought I would. Although I'm glad I had my honey belles for lunch (along with a nice glass of Chardonnay, of course), when we go back in two weeks for dinner, I'm going to have the salad bar.  Decided not to bother seeing if Kimball was open and went back and did a second town walk.
When I got home, I called Nancy, as I had promised, to report on the restaurant and I gave it, if not five stars, at least a favorable review.

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...