Friday, August 02, 2013

The Girls At Getty

We picked up Ellen's friend, Linda, about 11:00 and drove back to L.A.  Parked and took the tram up to the glorious Getty.*  Perched--or sprawled--over acres of soaring California real estate, the place is gorgeous and the views indescribably beautiful.  Everywhere you look, there's a vista majestic or quietly elegant, enhanced by the gleaming white exterior.  Much as I like the art, I think the outdoor setting is even more enjoyable.  The broad swaths of grass, huge labyrinth made of hedges, waterfalls, lush flowers, and greenery make you want to just wander for hours.
However, we had things to see inside.  I've always loved the European paintings of various eras--guess I'm the poky, old-fogy type--and favor the middle and late 18th and 19th centuries.  There were plenty of those and we also enjoyed the somewhat later paintings, as well as the decorative arts section.  I was particularly interested in a temporary exhibit of the work of two Japanese photographers, which contrasted their eras and styles.
We stayed until closing time at 5:30, then rode happily back to Ventura.  Went to a place Linda described as "a hole in the wall," where I had my very first fish taco.  Very tasty, and I'll enjoy them again.
After dropping Linda off, we stopped at Trader Joe's for supplies, then watched an episode of Little People, Big World, which Ellen had kindly recorded.  Turned in and--I'm rapidly falling into decadence, that's clear--slept until almost 8:00.
*For those unfamiliar with the Getty Museum, endowed by the late oil magnate, gazillionaire,  J. Paul Getty, it's worthwhile looking up on-line.  A magical place and, aside from $15 for parking, it's free. Nobody should dream of going anywhere near L.A. without experiencing it. 
 

No comments:

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...