Monday, August 19, 2013

Les Mis A Joy

Wonderful, glorious, fabulous!  They're the only words to describe Le Miserables, also "moving," "inspiring," "triumphant"--well, you get the picture.
My spunky sidekick, Aline, and I had lunch at Buckalew's first--sushi and a Corona for me--then went around the corner for the 2:00 matinee.
The theatre was mobbed--may have been sold out--and I saw several neighbors in the crowd.  Broadsides were posted in the lobby, and I were surprised to see one for a September 25 opening for Our Town. What?  It had been advertised that "local talent" were invited to audition for lesser parts, but I had never been able to find mention of when.  We saw Bill Somebody, who was selling refreshments and is Surflight's sales and marketing director--yes, in showbiz, you wear many hats, most unpaid.  (Bill and I appeared together in Surflight's fund-raiser murder mystery in October.)  He said to ask Hannah Whatsername, the new assistant executive director, who was in the ticket office.  I did, and she said auditions would be posted "soon."  Good grief, they're opening in five weeks and they haven't even held auditions yet?  I smell a rat, or rather, a possible situation in which the play has already been cast.  We'll see.
So how to describe Le Mis?  Okay, see the above.  The singing was sublime, the acting perfect, and the whole production simply one of the most enjoyable I've ever seen.  We were in the third row, so absorbed we both had tears streaming down our cheeks half the time.  After, the cast greeted the audience in the courtyard outside and we were able to chat with them and express our enjoyment and thanks.  What a pleasure!
When we could finally tear ourselves away, we drove up to Holgate on the southern end of the island, which had been badly battered by Hurricane Sandy.  We were delighted to see we could now get through to the breakwater and thrilled to the waves smashing against the bulkhead and sending spray thirty or so feet in the air.  I had been wanting to show this to Aline and she loved it as much as I did.  We decided on the spot we'll come back on Tuesday for lunch, then bring books and so on to read on a bench by the water.
Home about 7:00 for my Skype call from Ellen.  Had a good talk, then e-mailed Julie S., who was also in LETCO's Town, to give her the Surflight audition news.  I'll probably see her tonight at the meeting at the Henry's, also. 
      

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...