Monday, August 05, 2013

Last Full Day

We went to the Dudley House yesterday, another built in 1892 and in Ventura itself.  It wasn't as large or elaborate as the Camerillo one, but somehow seemed more authentic.  Maybe that was because the home had been occupied by descendants until it became an historic site.  Also, the décor was more in keeping with fussy Victorian and it included a number of Victorian pieces.  After, El and I went for a late lunch in town at Dargan's, an Irish restaurant and pub.  I had a good hamburger, but could have kicked myself for not ordering a shepherd's pie.    
Linda had invited us over to see some of her antique acquisitions and they were impressive.  She haunts yard sales and flea markets and also has some lovely pieces inherited from her parents.  She has stacks of reference books and clearly, has a strong knowledge of values.  She then took us to her backyard, showed us her orange, apple, clementine, and two lemon trees, and invited us to pick ourselves some fruit, which we were happy to do.  Imagine being able to go get an orange from your backyard instead of the grocery store!
Said goodbye to Linda and headed home.  I was so full from lunch that I just waited for wine and popcorn time, and went to bed early, even for me.  For the first time since I've been here, I had trouble sleeping: woke up at 2:30 and wasn't able to get back.  Oh, well, I'll sleep on the plane.
It's now 5:57 am and we leave for LAX in an hour and a half.  I'm always sorry to go after a wonderful visit with my darling daughter.  I do, though,  have some interesting activities at home coming up, and am looking forward to them. 

No comments:

Tuesday

Sent a welcome e-mail to my new tenants, mother and daughter, Laura and Prudence. I must remember to check to see if I need to send anything...