Saturday, August 17, 2013

Lunch With Leslie

More fun in the sun:  I rolled three doors down the street to pick up Leslie and off we went to the Crab Trap.  The parkway wasn't bad, but boy-oh-brother, the Somers Point exit was so backed up, it took fifteen minutes to get through.  I guess that was because the road also leads to Ocean City and, of course, a slew of people no doubt realized summer was waning and wanted to get in their beach time.
However, we were in no rush and got to the restaurant by 12:30.  Already it was mobbed, of course, and when I put in my name, I was given a little, round plastic thing that lights up when a table's ready.  I don't frequent a lot of restaurants that have such a high volume, and I was charmed by the device--wanted to play it.
We sat on benches outside on a beautiful day--I was overdressed, as it had been cool when Susan and I walked at 7:00--but were called before long and had a yummy lunch.  For me, it was fried oysters and chicken salad, which came with sides (I chose Brussels sprouts and oven-baked potatoes) and Leslie, salmon-topped salad.*
After, we drove over to the Atlantic County Historical Society, a small museum nearby.  The artifacts are not terribly historic, though engaging--mostly housewares and clothes from the Victorian era--but we didn't cover the whole thing, as we got into a discussion with volunteer docent, Norm, an Atlantic City native.  It covered politics, race, and changes to Absecon Island, along with other topics, and was pretty interesting--some agreement, some not.  However, the museum closes at 3:30, and that left little time to examine other stuff, such as some wonderful old photos.  I saw one of about fifty trolley car conductors, taken in 1928, and another of an early lifeguard crew, but there must be many more.  We'll have to go again one of these days.
After dropping Les off, I changed and puttered around with various, then drove to Shop-Rite in Manahawkin about 6:30.  Of course, going there on a Friday in the summer equates to taking your life in your hands, but at the dinner hour, it wasn't as crowded as it surely was earlier and would be later.  Got ingredients for some of the dinner I want to bring to Betty's today after the Players & Playwrights meeting, then stopped at Wal-Mart for my prescriptions.
*Just in case my son, Mike, reads this, I wanted to add what we ate.  Drives him crazy. 

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...