Sunday, August 18, 2013

P & P And Dinner

During our walk, Susan, who knew I was bringing dinner to Betty's, asked if I had dessert.  I didn't, exactly, but had some blueberries and a cantaloupe and thought I'd mix them--.  Put them on pound cake, sez S., and proceeded to give me a large portions of the gorgeous cake she had made from scratch the other day.
I had enough left of the delectable sausage/onion/garlic dish I had made on Thursday to use it as an entrĂ©e, then went over to Acme to get green-leaf lettuce, Cool Whip*, and a few other ingredients.  Made a green salad, a macaroni salad (with Italian dressing in place of mayo),  added peanuts and tiny crackers for appetizers, packed it all on my foam cooler, along with artificial ice, disposable plates, "glasses," and tableware, and put it in the car.  Put a can of Bud and bottle of Heineken in the smaller cooler, and was set.
Arrived at Bernice's in Margate for the Players & Playwright's gathering and soon, eight more came, including Rachel, of course.  The meeting was lively, to say he least, and lasted until after 4:00, thanks partly to Rachel, who orated at every turn, interrupted at will, and generally made an ass of herself. 
Betty called twice during the meeting, first because she thought I had said I'd be there at 2:00, then to ask me to pick her up after church, thinking I was in Ventnor.  We got that straightened out and I drove to her place after the meeting.  She wasn't yet there, but arrived shortly, and brought with her Alice E., the older sister of Cassie O., with whom we went to school.  Of course, she was invited to stay; luckily, the food I brought was enough for all of us. 
We had a nice dinner and visit, then I packed up and got home by 8:00, just before full dark.
*Ordinarily, I whip my own cream, but I was in a hurry, and didn't.  I'm afraid there's a whole generation who have never tasted actual heavy cream that's been whipped, and think the sugary white fluff they buy in a plastic container is the real thing.  Sad. 

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...