Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Les Mis And The Gestapo Grope


Alarmed about the noise in my car, I drove over to Mastercraft after our walk.  The guy diagnosed it as a "hub bearing" problem (huh?  I never even knew I had a hub bearing) and would fix it to the tune of $540.
Now this is one of those periods when all kinds of money needs are converging.  I have big credit card bills from my trip to California, I paid Dennis for the driveway, the exterminator will demand $150 today, and--not to beat a comatose pony--there are all kinds of other needs.  (Such as?  Well, that I have to go out to lunch so often--.  Okay, I've been squandering dough, too.)
Decided to get another opinion on the car and went down to Parkertown Auto.  The guy there gave me a fix-up price of $375.  I'll take that and will drop off Baby Buick at 8:00.
We had a terrific rainstorm yesterday--I should have thought of leaving baby in the driveway to get washed--but it cleared, and I picked up Aline at 12:30.  We went to SeaOaks for lunch, then back to my place where I showed her Skype and we called for Les Mis tickets for Sunday at Surflight.  Chatted for an hour or two, then left for the library where A. did her thing on the computer and I talked to Branch Manager Kelly.  I wanted to discuss yet another dismal occurrence that points up how my native land is morphing into something very, very different from what I've known since childhood--and quickly, too.
WIDER:  I requested a book at home on-line and was asked if I wanted to maintain a list of material I had withdrawn recently.  I don't remember clicking "yes," but I must have, because what followed is this hair-raising message:
"The feature you have selected is associated with personal data in your patron account. Such data may be accessed by law enforcement personnel without your consent. Do you wish to continue?"    Then there are "yes" and "no" response boxes for "the patron" to check.
Yes, this abomination sprang from the Patriot Act.  It's probably also known, in thinking circles, anyway, as the "Police State Snoop," or the "Gestapo Grope."  Kelly explained that, until recently, books withdrawn were expunged from the system after they were returned.  Now, though, the library have the capability of retaining that information and, on request, you can keep a "list" in the library's system.  But oh, of course, it's up to you to ask to have your withdrawals listed; it's entirely voluntary, you understand, and the storm troopers have to have a subpoena.  The idea that someday (could that day be already upon us?) whether you request it or not, information on books you withdraw can be accessed by the authorities is crazy...
Yeah.  

2 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

You know, as far as the library itself is concerned, I think they've done a good thing -- almost as good as simply refusing to hand anything over to our rulers. At least they're warning you that, under the so-called PATRIOT Act, the government is entitled to grab that stuff in secret. It's possible that those who haven't been paying attention might not know that.

Mimi said...

I think you're right, Jim, and in reference to that, Kelly indicated there was resistance from the library (the Ocean County, NJ system, anyway)about acting as adjuncts to "law enforcement."

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...