Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Dinner and DISCOVER Card

After I got home yesterday, I cleared out suitcases, washed and folded clothes, and went to Acme to replenish supplies.  Got a call from Aline and we made a date for lunch today.  I'll pick her up at the library at 1:00 (she volunteers in the morning), then drop her off for work from 3 to 9. 
Returned Betty's call late in the day to hear she and some friends were having early dinner--ten bucks covered all--at Smithville and would I like to go?  Well, sure, and I did.  Had vegetable pasta and took half home for dinner tonight.  I dislike eating so early--we met at 4:30--and this group of Betty's friends seems a teensy bit old hat and pokey to me.  However, they're nice people, so it  was pleasant and, as all who know me know, I'd eat out for breakfast, lunch, and dinner if I could. 
FURIOUS NOTE:  Just opened the mail I received while I was away and found a letter from Discover Credit Card, dated July 29, saying "regulations require that we have current and accurate information contact, employment, and income information on your account."  It went on to instruct me to call an 888 number or go on-line to provide the info.  I was sure it was some kind of scam and called the Discover number on my bill.  Talked to three people, the third of whom blithely assured me that this "regulation" referred to some kind of credit card legislature--or something--but that compliance was "voluntary."  "Then why does it say 'required'"? I asked and, of course, got no answer.  I asked if I was in arrears and was told, no, not at all... . To make a long and squalid story endurable, I informed the guy I'd pay my current bill, then would tell Discover where it could shove its frigging credit card.  May the Commerce God damn their usurious hides to hell! 

No comments:

Wednesday

It was quite an enjoyable day after all the must-do-this, can't-find-that of the last few.  Changed the bed, washed the sheets, and jump...