Monday, May 20, 2013

Music Program

Susan and I walked with umbrellas, although we escaped the cold, drizzly rain that started later.  Picked up Aline at 1:00 and drove to Buckalew's on LBI.  We both had chili and salad (and I a Blue Moon*)--very tasty.
The music program wasn't until 4:00, so we had plenty of time after lunch for a drive to the southern end of the island.  There's still a lot of work to be done in removing sand and repairing homes.  Went to the church a bit early and sat down.  The singers were rehearsing at the altar and when they finished, Brent (my son-in-law's brother), a member of The Capital Singers, saw us and came down to give me a hug.
The program was magnificent!  It included mostly religious, but some secular selections, sung by The Capital Singers and The Trenton Singers combined.  Aline was pleased to see listed a selection in Hebrew by Leonard Bernstein.  I noticed a frumpy and dumpy middle-aged woman in the group and thought little of it--until she stepped forward to sing Amazing Grace solo.  It was so beautiful I cried.
Aline, who is a music lover and knows a lot about it, enjoyed it immensely, and so did I.  After, we drove down to the northern end of the island, just to see the ocean. Miserable as the weather was, though, the water was calm.
When we got back, A. stopped in and I gave her a script for Telephone.  I had cast her in the psychiatrist role and we read a bit of it.  Took her home, talked to Ellen on Skype, and that was my day.  
* Usually, I don't bother to check the bill when I go out to eat; just look at the total to calculate the tip.  I did yesterday, though, and was shocked to see the charge for the beer: $6.50!  Good grief, that's almost the price of a six-pack and you could get a whole lunch for that amount!  Think I'll go for iced tea from now on.

No comments:

Wednesday And Choosing Sides

I did some filing and cleaning up in the morning; also emailed the office that I need a new toilet seat. Left at 10:30 and got the 11 bus to...