Thursday, May 30, 2013

Busy

Very busy and productive day.  Early on, I cut up onions, mushrooms, and garlic, added a bit of oil and seasonings and put the concoction in the slow cooker.  I was bound and determined to do something about the scraggly flower bed out front, so after our walk, breakfast, and the mushroom thing, got to work pulling weeds.  It was an ideal time to do it, as we had had a soaking rain on Tuesday. 
Boy, what a job.  But I got it done and what's more, trimmed--laboriously, slim branch by skinny twig--the Japanese maple, which had been encroaching on the front walk, and the "rollup" or " rollmop" or whatever they are, bushes that were hiding the irises in the back.  I want to take still more off, but will do that on Friday.
I then drove  north to The Home Depot and got tomato cages for the hydrangeas.  I was sorely tempted to buy a beautiful star lily plant--which I might yet--but am not sure where it will fit. We'll see.  I wanted a clematis to put in the corner, but didn't see any.
Had a quick lunch at home, then went south to Produce Junction.  I was disappointed with the selection there, but bought two nice coleus hanging plants.  Stopped at Canal's for wine, then headed to Bob's, my favorite plant place.  Picked up white bopeca and blue salvia there. 
By the time I got home, it was after 4:00, but I was determined to get the damn things in the ground and I did.  Also arranged the hydrangeas inside the support cages and watered, trimmed a bit more, then quit for the day.
Nothing ever feels so good as a shower after such a warm, active, and let's face it, sweaty day, and boy, did it.  Had a bite for dinner, then headed out to the library for their semi-annual book sale.
I bought two big bags of books--eight of them, all but one non-fiction.  Good grief, I already have a huge pile in my bedroom of books I haven't yet had time to read, and I have two on reserve at the library. Presently, I'm reading memoirs of both Jackie and Ted Kennedy.  Well, I can't help it, that's my addiction.
In between all this, I went back and forth on e-mail about the situation surrounding our Players & Playwrights show on June 15.  Two of mine were selected to be in it and I'm trying to work out a rehearsal schedule among nine busy people.  At the same time, I got word that one of my key actors has pulled out, in a snit because his plays weren't selected.  Geez, you'd think this was Broadway.  Anyway, I was able to call another member of our group and he agreed to take the part.
Will leave in a half hour for a van tour with Barb H.     

No comments:

Thursday

Up and at 'em after a pretty good sleep. Didn't do a whole lot in the morning besides making my lunch. Left about 10:30 to meet Dian...