Friday, May 17, 2013

Breakfast And The Military

Anne Mary took Susan and me to breakfast at Dockside yesterday, as a thank-you for helping her after she broke her hip.  She's doing well; uses a cane, but is pretty good on her feet.  I had scrambled eggs and scrapple, Susan bacon and eggs, and A.M. one egg and one-half piece of toast.  She's emaciated, as she has been for seven or eight years because she rarely eats.
We were there for an hour and a half and I endured an excruciatingly boring conversation that centered around dogs--they're both animal lovers--with some cat and bird mixed in.  They also vied with each other as to whose kitchen is cleanest, a contest I didn't enter.  I guess Susan won, calling hers "sterile."  That kind of thing always makes me want to say I eat baked beans after they drop on the floor.  I refrained, however, stoic that I am.  When I ordered my eggs soft--I usually tell them "slimy, you might say"--they both looked at me as if I had expressed a yen for fried baby.
Oh, I'm in a mood, I guess.  It was so refreshing to be with grownups yesterday--Aline and Louise--who can use a few choice curse words instead of silly euphemisms.
Drove to Kohl's to return Marge's items and have her card credited.  I had intended to look for a spring jacket, but just didn't feel like it.  After I got home, I talked to Betty, then actually bestirred myself to pull weeds out front and tidy up a little.  Looks better.
Called and had a long, good talk with my dear "Cincinnati Sis," my cousin, Marifran K.  She has some medical stuff coming up and I hope it goes well.
Made plans to go up to Wellsboro over the Memorial Day weekend.  Looking forward to seeing my sweet boys again. 
WIDER:   "By making a few subtle changes to a regulation in the U.S. Code titled “Defense Support of Civilian Law Enforcement Agencies” the military has quietly granted itself the ability to police the streets without obtaining prior local or state consent, upending a precedent that has been in place for more than two centuries."
That's from this truly horrific article that should raise a loud alarm in everyone's minds, but surely won't penetrate the marble skulls of most Murky-kins:
http://www.longislandpress.com/2013/05/14/u-s-military-power-grab-goes-into-effect/
    

1 comment:

Jim Wetzel said...

From the linked story:

Moreover, he insists the Pentagon doesn’t “want to get involved in civilian law enforcement. It’s one of those red lines that the military hasn’t signed up for.” Nevertheless, he says, “every person in the military swears an oath of allegiance to the Constitution of the United States to defend that Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic.”

Anyone in the military who took that oath seriously would be obliged to immediately shoot his officers, followed by most holders of public office. Obviously, there isn't much taking-seriously going on.

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...