Monday, May 06, 2013

"The 39 Steps"


Strolled down to the R.'s about quarter of two and Barbara D. joined us shortly.  Her Frank  had been called in late in the day--a week before opening night--to work the lights.
When we arrived at Frog Pond School, I was greeted with hugs by Rose F. selling tickets and Ellen V. on refreshments.  Ditto with Director Desi, plus Tonya, Bob, and Emma N.  We settled in as part of the all-two-sparse audience (no more than 40 people, I'm afraid) and the show began. 
What a hysterical play!  There were only four characters, including Tara C. and Jim H., whom I've known for years; Tara directed me in my first "real" play, Steel Magnolias and I performed with Jim in Our Town and You Can't Take It With You.  The other two were Mike B. who teaches at Frog Pond, plus Tony B., a newcomer to the group, I thought, but according to the program, he appeared with them in 2007.  Tony is devastatingly handsome--tall, well-built, with dark, wavy hair, and a pencil-thin mustache.  He's also a terrific actor; on-stage virtually every minute, he carried off his role with great dispatch and a rollicking sense of enjoyment.
The other three did a great job, too, and they played a number of roles each.  Tara, for instance, was a mysterious German woman who is murdered, a prim train passenger, and a farmer's amorous wife.  Jim and Mike handled their multiple roles--spies, detectives, train conductors, a Scottish landlord, and so on and on--beautifully, changing hats, coats, props, and accents without a slip.
Anyway, it was great fun and we enjoyed it immensely.
Susan left a message to the effect that she wouldn't walk, as she's getting a mammogram at 7:00.  Had my usual virtual visit with Ellen on Skype and we chatted on a variety of topics.  Mike is to call me on Skype to help me with applying at Chase for the new mortgage rate.       
Dinner with Vivian L. tonight.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...