Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Party And Plays


Got a bunch of errands done, both in Little Egg and Manahawkin, added some domestic chores, then just hung out with this and that on the last day of 2012. 
Continued to mull over whether to go to Tonya's party or not.  Called Aline and found she had already declined; she has a bad cold and was going next door to her neighbor's.  We made a date for lunch on Thursday at Dockside.
I was in a dilemma because I find it so hard to stay up past a certain hour.  Midnight, of course, would be difficult, and as I figure most years, the new one is going to come in whether I see it at the time or after a refreshing sleep.  Finally though, the light dawned: I didn't have to stay any longer than I wanted to, especially as I wouldn't have A. with me.   
Okay, it was decided.  I jumped in the shower, dressed, packed two Buds in my cold carryall, and took off for the party.
I'm so glad I did!  It was great seeing my theatre buddies again AND in talking to Desi S., I found that first, LETO is going to do the comedic The Thirty-Nine Steps in the spring.  There's no part in it for me, as you might call me  an--ahem--"mature woman," but I'm okay with that and even with the fact that Desi has already cast it.  (There are only four characters who play various roles.)
How is it I'm not grumbling and rumbling about Desi not holding auditions?  Because he told me he is also determined to finally, at long last, put on Hedda Gabler in October AND that he wants me to play the part of the aunt. 
Now this is a very meaty role in the dark Ibsen play and I had auditioned for it about five years ago.  Didn't get the part and I was told by somebody in the know that the only reason was because Desi didn't think my voice strong enough.  I've proved myself in a number of roles since then, and I guess Desi realizes that, especially since he directed me in Night Must Fall.
The other terrific thing that happened last night is that Neil and Judi G. were there and I talked to Neil about my frustrations in dealing with Lou M., the director associated with Our Gang Players.  Neil has been cast as the male lead, but according to him, the two aunties roles haven't been filled yet.  He gave me Lou's phone numbers and I'm going to track him down to see if I can even yet audition for a part.
I got to Tonya's about 8:00 and stayed about an hour and a half, just long enough to chat a bit with acting colleagues, have a beer, then say my goodbyes.  Fibbed and said I had another party to attend, a little white lie--or maybe a big black lie, but after all, it was the last day of the year and everybody's entitled to...
Oh, can it, Mimi!  You uttered an untruth just to make yourself comfortable and avoid admitting you didn't want to stay out any later.  Okay, that's more like it, and guess I should be contrite, but am I? 
Nah.

No comments:

Thursday

Up and at 'em after a pretty good sleep. Didn't do a whole lot in the morning besides making my lunch. Left about 10:30 to meet Dian...