Monday, January 21, 2013

Dinner Out

During our morning walk, Susan invited me to have dinner out with her, Walter, and  her visiting daughter and granddaughter, Julie and Sophia.  They planned to go to a seafood place in Manahawkin, where I had never been.  I accepted--who would think otherwise?--and made the date.
Went across the street to Susan's at 5:30 and we drove to the restaurant.  It was closed--darn.  Julie suggested we go to Allan's in New Gretna and we did.
I'm not crazy about restaurants like Allan's.  They serve on foam plates and, although the tableware isn't plastic, it's the cheapest possible tinny metal.  Service is casual--verging on indifferent--and we had to ask for water and napkins.  The coleslaw was the deli-counter-at-Acme kind and the sour cream came in those little plastic tubs--aagh!  Although decor seems to me the least important aspect of an establishment's desirability, I couldn't help but notice how mediocre theirs is.  It features grease-covered walls and the usual tired display of buoys and lobster traps hanging from the ceiling--'nuff said. 
Howsomever (is that actually a word?  Why did it pop into my head?)  I had the fried seafood combo and it wasn't half bad.  Would I go to Allan's again? Well, sure, what's not to like?
At Susan's invitation, I went back to their place after and we had ice cream cake she had made a few weeks ago and had in the freezer. Skyped Ellen when I got home--can't wait to see her in April. 


No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...