Sunday, December 02, 2012

Excursions In Atlantic County

Very enjoyable day.  After doing three loads of wash--that wasn't the enjoyable part--I left for Atlantic County about 10.  Went first to Produce Junction, where I picked up three fresh Fraser pine wreaths, one for my front door, the others with stands for Pat's and Jay's graves.  All day the car was filled with a wonderful forest scent. 
Stopped next at Canal's to replenish my wine cellar (read "modest rack in the dining room"), then drove to Ventura's in Northfield to meet Betty and Carole W.  Lunch was tasty (for me, chicken salad served in an edible cantaloupe "bowl"), but the service was slow.  I was due for a 1:00 rehearsal at Jim L.'s, just down Shore Road and got there late, as I had some difficulty finding his street.  I made it, though, and Jim, Director John, and I went through A Genie's Fate twice.  John indicated that I had done well with the rather slight, but funny role.  As for Jim--hmm...
Years ago, I read a pan of some actor or other--I think Tippi Hendren in The Birds--in which the reviewer said the performance could have been presented to a couple for their wooden wedding anniversary.  That came to mind yesterday.  Our Players & Playwrights group consists of both, of course, and Jim is one of the latter.  You'd think he'd pick up on the idea that performing in plays involves acting, but it seems to have escaped him.  Good thing we're charging only five bucks to get in.
We finished up much earlier than I thought we would and I impulsively drove down to Betty's.  Visited for a bit, then I left at three thirty or so.
Stopped at the cemetery on the way home, put up the wreaths, and took pictures to send my children and Betty. 
Home before five--good thing, as it was already dark--to find a phone message from Tom L., an insurance guy.  I want to ask him to search out a less expensive supplemental.  Mine will go up by forty-two and change a month, more than five hundred a year, and I hope I can duck the blow. Called him back, but he wasn't available and I'll call again. 
Nothing scheduled for today and I must turn my attention to writing the profile on the Barry's.  Will do that right after breakfast and my weekly treats, the cryptoquip and the crossword puzzle.    

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...