Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Chirstmas Day

'Twas Christmas day/Christmas day/Christmas day/In the morning.... And a terrific, albeit unconventional one (maybe terrific because it was unconventional) it was. 
Early on, I was thrilled and overjoyed to get the news that grandson Joel and his Noelle are engaged!  Couldn't be happier about that, and I talked on the phone with both. 
We learned that J.'s two boys would be staying over at their grandma's last night and that posed a dilemma for Christmas dinner at my place.  How could the invited couple get down here, then back up in time to receive them?  No prob, I immediately decided, we'll just pack everything up and take it there--and we did.  I first peeled and cored the dozen apples I had bought the other day, added sugar, cinnamon, and butter, and made applesauce.  
Dinner, if I modestly say it myself, was yummy, yum, yum.  I had chosen as a main dish, uncooked, vacuum-packed Italian pork formed into a roll and with a kind of crust of  Italian seasoning.  I've served this before for company and it's wonderfully tender and good.  Added baked potatoes, gravy (bought, I'm afraid, not homemade), mixed broccoli and carrots, the applesauce, along with the rest of my birthday cake, and all agreed it was scrumptious.  The hostess did most of the little preparation required, which was okay by me and by her, too. 
Our very sunny moods may have been the result of the Margaritas we all had before dinner, the ingredients for which I had bought before Ellen arrived.  She's essentially a non-imbiber, and that's her drink of choice.
Sat and talked after dinner until the boys arrived with their Mom.  It was so good to see those sweet kids, as ever, and Ellen and I stayed a bit longer.  Got home at an ungodly hour--it must have been after 10:00--had my usual, then bed to sleep like a log as I virtually always do.
Today:  the Monmouth Museum with the boys--yay!

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...