Monday, December 10, 2012

Concert

As I do every single year, it seems, I had second thoughts about a number of Christmas gifts I'd bought, and returned them.  Selected others for the London contingent, got them home, and spent an hour or so wrapping and tagging.  Was able to fit them all in a large box, wrapped that in brown paper, addressed, and will take to the p.o. this morning.  Had a quick bite for lunch, dressed, and got out the door by two.
I had been invited to a Christmas concert up north and was happy to attend.  What an incredible experience!  This was no Rudolph and "Silent Night"  with sleigh bells, but was composed of two Trenton choral groups  singing serious classical music, such as the Kyrie, Gloria, and Agnus Dei of the midnight mass for Christmas; a selection from Messiah, and Amid The Cold of Winter.  Several were in Latin, of course, a familiar language from my R.C. youth, and all were beautifully arranged and presented.  What's more, there were real live instrumentalists on violin, flute, cello, and clarinet, and their renditions were exquisite.
The concert was entitled Winter Songs VI and was held in St. David the King catholic church in Princeton Junction.  It's a new, incredibly large, and very ornate venue, which soars practically up to the heavens and is decorated with a decidedly Asiatic tone.  That seems appropriate to me, as the red and gold, of which there was plenty, reflects, I assume, the eastern territory where Jesus is said to have lived.
Anyway, it was a lovely evening.  I declined an offer to stay for dinner and drove home in the dark, rainy night, glad to arrive safely.  Enjoyed my usual Sunday call from Ellen, who will be here next week--yay!

     

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...