Friday, December 07, 2012

Christmas Party

Went to Manahawkin early and finally got some Christmas presents bought.  Finished most of my sparse decorating; have wreaths at the big window and the door, will soon get the flickering candles in the windows an set up Santa in the hall.  I'm annoyed that he doesn't work (is supposed to move, light up, and emit music).  Not sure if it's really broken or I put the batteries in wrong.  Maybe I'll appeal to a neighbor to check.  Went to the L.'s annual Christmas party in Egg Harbor Township at 4:00.
Attendance is sadly depleted at that annual event:  Pat has been gone more than three years, Audrey T. was too ill to be there, and Kate S. has Alzheimer's, I was so sorry to be told.  Her husband, Danny, is just recovering--I hope--was a bout of cancer himself and he must care for Kate, who can do almost nothing for herself.
Besides the hosts, Joe and Flo, that left only Barbara and Frank J., Noreen and Don M., Rita F., and me.  I had a nice enough time, but Joe, who had always been so jovial and warm, seemed unnaturally quiet and removed.
Of course, it wasn't easy to talk over Don, an obnoxious blowhard, a racist, and a reactionary bore who makes Rush Limbaugh look like Lenin.  After dinner, the exchange of useless five dollar gifts, and listening to Don hold forth on why Atlantic City no longer has a hockey team (it's all the fault of the Jews and "the colored," we learned), I was able to say goodbye.  Had a good excuse because I live quite a distance away and in fact, took a wrong turn and got slightly lost.  Corrected soon, though, and made it home by 9:00 or so.
     

No comments:

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...