Sunday, October 02, 2011

Yesterday's picture: That's my great-grandmother, Mary Ann McIlkenney, mother of my paternal grandmother and my Aunt Maggie on my father's side. Picture taken in Dublin.
Spent time yet again arranging the guest room. Now I'm befuddled by the fact that I still have a lot of stuff in the closet. And the pictures! It's just incredible how many I have that I can't begin to display. Not sure what to do about them.
Went to Blockbuster and rented V For Vendetta, which niece Joan had recommended. It was interesting, even gripping at times, but uneven, I thought.
Called cousin Marifran in Cincinnati and we had a good talk. Her cancer is at bay, it seems, as the tumor hasn't grown. She's treating it nutritionally at this point, but realizes she may have to go under the knife, as the charming phrase goes, sometime.
Speaking of disease, I just got the book The Life You Save, which I already find absorbing. Written by an attorney who specializes in malpractice suits, it's a guide to taking charge of your own health, in the sense of knowing your history, understanding what's wrong and what's available, asking the right questions, and not being intimidated by doctors. First step is getting your medical records; I intend to request them tomorrow. Scarily, the book starts off with the story of one of the author's clients who went to dermatologist to check a mole on his back. Doc wrote it should be excised, but next doc, for some reason, failed to note this and it wasn't. Patient himself just assumed it was okay. Eight years late, the melanoma, which would almost surely have caused no further problem if removed, killed him.
Going to the Chowderfest on Long Beach Island today.
WIDER: From "The Casey Report," which I get on-line. Richard Maybury pointed that when it comes to war, "the fundamental problem is political power and its corrupting influence on moral judgment." (Couldn't agree more, Richard.) He went on: "...the historical facts (show) a disturbing picture of today’s reality: a clear and present danger is no longer needed for acts of aggression. The state just needs to think that the other side is up to no good. Logic and ethics are dead and we are entering a dog-eat-dog era of aggression."
This site--The Casey Report--is actually written for free-market enthusiasts, with whom I don't often agree, but a lot of it make sense.
http://sz0069.wc.mail.comcast.net/zimbra/mail?app=mail#2

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...