Sunday, October 16, 2011

Mary Ann picked me up at 11:45 and we went to the HD Anna Bolena, Donizetti's opera at the Reigal Theatre in Mays Landing. Oh, boy, was it a treat! The doomed queen, one of Henry VIII's wives, was sung by Russian-born Anna Netrebko who, I'm beginning to realize is the reigning--well, queen of the genre. Her voice is incredible and she's a good actress, as well. She's full-figured and has a sublimely beautiful face.
It added so much to my enjoyment to have been at the lecture last week on the same opera. Yesterday's was was from the MET, and had English sub-titles, of course, and Mary Ann and I thought it was far superior to the French production we saw in parts last week.
The theatre was almost filled--that slayed me--the patrons were almost universally pretty long in the tooth. I assume there are some young people who are devotees of opera, but I'd be willing to bet Lady Gaga takes precedence.
Anyway, it was simply superb. I just cannot understand how people can sing so majestically in such a sustained manner and still have breath to move.
Home about 5:30.
More opera today, this time Manon at the clubhouse.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...