Saturday, October 08, 2011

Arrived in Trenton about 45 minutes early. There's a large parking lot, with a section for visitors and I figured that was for me. Pulled up to the kiosk where a young, chubby, sloppily dressed (button undone over his large tummy) state trooper asked me where I was going. I said a rally at the state house. He said I couldn't park there; "visitors" means if visiting somebody in a state office. Said I should park on State Street or at the Marriott a few blocks down. He was polite and friendly enough, but geez, you can't even park conveniently in Jersey, where I've lived all my life.
Parked in front of the NJ State Library and, to kill time, thought I'd browse the stacks a bit. Just past the entrance, I was astounded to have a uniformed police officer seated at a desk ask for I.D. Wh-a-at?! Showed my drivers' license and asked if I needed my birth certificate and proof of citizenship. I asked what he did if he saw a suspicious I.D. "Nothing," he said, "but since 9/11, we ask for I.D."
Ah, 9/11, what crimes are committed in your name.
Browsed a bit, then went to the noon rally about quarter of twelve. Nobody was there yet, but across the street was a group of occupiers and I joined them. There were two tents set up; some had stayed overnight. Chatted with them, then the Tenth Anniversary rally started and they came to join us. Rev. Moore spoke, as did a woman from Maryland who has been to Afghanistan on a peace mission, the president of the Muslim Student Society at the College of New Jersey, and a few others. A folk-singer sang. Two state police officers came out to tell the three people who had signs on stick that they had to lose the sticks--I guess because they could be used as weapons. The three people were a man about 60, a young mother, and her no-more-than-three-year-old daughter. Rev. Moore said he counted 75 people there, which he thought a good crowd, considering it was a work day.
Drove to Ewing after and one of the caregivers let me go into our old house. There are a lot of changes--there needed to be--but the kitchen cabinets Pat installed are still there and so are the tiles from Moravian Tile Factory that I chose with such loving care.
Stopped at the cemetery where old friend, Elaine, is buried, along with her beloved grandson, Sean, and her not-so-beloved husband, Len. Got home about 4:00, returned several phone calls, puttered around, and retired for the night.
Somewhat of a downer day because I can't believe this demonstration--any of these demonstrations--will make an iota of difference in our determined rush to world domination and ultimate obliteration. Those in power have the money and the military and we citizens count for nothing.
NOTE: Just for fun, take a look at this:
http://www.wimp.com/vegetablemarket/

No comments:

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...