Sunday, October 23, 2011

My guests just left (sob!) at 4:30 am. We had a ball yesterday. Got up north by 11:30, talked and laughed with the proprietors of the home, then were served a great lunch which included quiche, onion rolls, fruit salad with yogurt, and so all. Yummy. Our hostess suggested we see nearby Walnford Park and we followed them the few miles there.
Walnford Park is the former estate of a fairly prominent Monmouth County family, and was established in 1600 something. It includes the usual barn, ice house, corn crib, and so on, as well as an interesting large grist mill where the owners used to make grist (heh, heh, my little joke).
We toured the house, my favorite, a very large--5000 square feet--beautiful one, which was lived in by descendants until the 1950's or '79's, can't remember which.
After that, we separated from the host couple about 4:00, as they had a dinner date in Rancocos. Drove home, Betty went home, and Larry and I went out to get gas, order pizza, and pick up a few beers (for me, of course, not tee-totaler Larry), while Helen read the paper.
We devoured our pizza, then enjoyed a guilty pleasure: "ice cream sandwich" ice cream. Geez, I must have consumed more calories in the past few days than I have in a month, but oh, so good.
We all went to bed early. Got up to reluctantly say goodbye to my much-loved brother and sister, about the most enjoyable guests there could be. Helen has some health and mobility problems, but downplays them and never complains. She and Larry are always ready to participate in any new adventure and show their enjoyment with words and smiles. They're a rare couple, married 55 years, with a multitude of children, grandchildren, and great-grands, clearly very compatible. I can't even imagine one without the other.
Well, they and theirs are welcome in my houe anytime I'm privileged enough to have them.

No comments:

Monday

 I slept pretty well, I'm happy to say: got up once, but went back until after 6:00.  Got a call from Zak Dental to see if I could come ...