Saturday, October 15, 2011

Before our walk, Susan presented me with a loaf of pumpernickel and two avocados. She signed up for a six-month membership in B.J.'s and was giving me the "partner" designation so I can shop there. I went there later and was told she hadn't actually named me, but I was given the membership anyway.
Much as I appreciate Susan's gesture, in truth, I'm not impressed with B.J.'s. I don't think the prices are any better than many other places and, at $48 a year, it's not really worth joining--for me, anyway. Nevertheless, I managed to buy fifty-one dollars worth of nothing much yesterday.
I mentioned to Susan that I want to get rid of the T.V. in the guest room and Susan suggested I ask the church thrift store on Route 9 if they take them. She also offered to have her and Walter take it there in their SUV. I went to the thrift store and, yes, they do take them, but don't pick up, so I'll take Susan up on her offer.
Mary Ann and I had planned to go to a CD of the opera "Anna Bolena" today. I assume we still are, but I haven't heard from her. Will check.
WIDER: From "War Breeds War, Peace Breeds Prosperity" by R. Lee Wrights on AntiWar.com:
"War breeds war. That is all it can do. War does nothing but devour valuable resources and destroy precious lives for the sole purpose of perpetuating itself. As Randolph Bourne wrote, "War is the health of the State." War is a mechanism used by the ruling elites of the State to coerce and control the people, so it becomes essential that whenever one war is complete, another is instigated elsewhere so that the mechanism keeps running."

2 comments:

Jim Wetzel said...

Gee, I wonder why we have next to no productive economy, here in the United States of War? Gosh, I just can't figure it out ...

Mimi said...

As my friend, Jon V., once advised me (paraphrasing), "You're not supposed to question what our leaders do, so just shut up and buy things."

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...