Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Back from the cruise yesterday. Enjoyed a large percenage of it, and was bored by some. It took a long time to get on the ship, with "security" measures more stringent than airport ones. Was very crowded and noisy, but for me, that added to the sense of excitement. Our stateroom (or cabin or whatever it's called) was adequate, even comfortable, although there were three of us in there. Helen and Nancy are wonderfully compatible roommates and we had a good time together.
Of course, I spent most of my time out of the cabin. The food--as cruise veterans all emphasized--was everywhere all the time, and abundant. It was generally not bad, although far from gourmet. I was taken aback, though, having heard how "everything is included" by realizing I spent over a hundred dollars on drinks. They were not included in the fare and, for instance, one Bud cost me $7.57 cents. They add tax AND gratuity, so every time I ordered a drink, it ran at least that or more. The mixed drinks--at different times, I had a pina colada, a frozen daiquiri, and some kind of rum cocktail--were pretty bad. Didn't buy any of the myriad pictures they kept taking, as I took plenty of my own.
The first night, there was some kind of "comedy" show (yeah, those quote marks are warranted), at 10:15, much too late for me and very unfunny. Went in one of the pools once, but all were very crowded. I was surprised there wasn't a large one; instead, there were a number of small ones, some with salt water, which I enjoyed.
Larry and I went ashore at Key West and toured Hemingway's house, where I'd been when Pat and I were there about 12 years ago. Enjoyed that and took lots of pictures of the six-toed cats. Went to Truman's summer home, but didn't take the tour.
It got a little rocky the second day out, in the Gulf of Mexico, but I was pleased to realized I didn't get seasick. We docked at Cozumel, Mexico and Larry and I rented a taxi to take us around the island. We stopped at the end at Paradise Bay--very festive, with a lovely harbor and an open-air thatched restaurant and bar. I had a frozen daiquiri ($7.75 for a rather small plastic glass and a watery drink) and Larry a soda. Got back to the ship for a shower and dinner, then thought I'd go ashore to pick up souvenirs. Vic, Jeanne's husband, said he'd go with me (he had been doing computer/medical stuff all day in the library),but a huge downpour greeted us before we got off and we had to scratch the excursion.
Sailed all the next day back to Miami. There was a good variety review the last night and that was great fun. Got out fairly easily--it took only an hour or so--and back to Larry and Helen's comfortable home.
Would I go on a cruise again? Maybe, but not very soon and I doubt if I'd want choose a longer one--four days was okay. There seemed to be a lot of waiting around for things--meals, etc. and although cruises are always billed as having something to do all the time--a laff a minute!--I didn't find it so. There was a bit too much organized gaiety, which just isn't my cup of tea (I never joined a Red Hats group for that reason). If I had to make a choice between a cruise and going somewhere on land, then taking excursions here and there, I'd pick the latter.
On the other hand, a lot of it was great fun. The best part was being with my brother and his remarkably congenial family. There were 27 of us--I think--ranging in age from Larry, 79, to little Kayla, 3, and they're a wonderfully warm and welcoming gang.

1 comment:

Pat said...

Rosemary,
Glad you're back safely.
Sounds like my experience on cruises. Alaska is better for the scenery and the excursions. Still...4 days is about my max. I can't even imagine an around the world cruise.
We always met super nice people and I bet being with your family made some wonderful memories for all of you.

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...