Sunday, March 06, 2011

Went to The Wizard of Oz at Pinelands Regional last night and boy, was it FABULOUS. It followed the Judy Garlard movie very closely, even to the extent that "Dorothy" sounded like her in both song and dialogue. Special effects were spectacular and the performances were downright professional. Funny thing: A important segment was included that had "the jitterbugs"--a troop of at least twenty-five--dancing in tap and free form (or whatever the non-tap type of dance is called) in a rousing number. I'm very familiar with the movie version of The Wizard; can recite whole pieces of dialogue and know virtually all the songs and I'm sure there were no "jitterbugs" in it. Wonder if it was originally in, then left on the cutting room floor (a phrase from bygone days).
As for the original Wizard--the book--I may be the only one on the eastern seaboard who has actually read it. It's very different from the movie, has added characters, for one thing and there's even a different "feel" to it, it seem to me. What's more, I've been to L. Frank Baum's grave. He's buried under a big mausoleum in Forest Lawn Park in California.
Went to the show with Susan and Walter and, after, accepted their invitation to come in for a glass of wine. Didn't get home until almost 11:00; when I did, had a message about our trip to upstate Pennsy to see the kids next weekend. Can't wait.
Earlier in the day, Brett finally got here about the front door. He fixed it, which is fine, but I've lost interest anyway. While he was here, Libby B. called to say she didn't want to be interviewed for this month, after all. Okay by me, I have plenty on my plate as it is, and I'll call her in April.
It's Sunday and I'm so hoping my darling daughter will call me on the web cam this evening between 6 and 8 my time. Haven't seen her for the longest and I miss her! Of course, I'd love to hear from my other kiddies, too.
NOTE: I'm happy to report that my insomnia is gone. Slept like a log the last few days; son Mike was right, I guess, that it was jet lag. (Oh, he's always right about everything--NOT!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

id they have midgets (oops, I mean "little people") in the show?

Mimi said...

Plsying the muchkins, they had about thirty children, from about 5 to 10 or so, including the daughter of Tara K., who was in "Steel Magnolias" with me and will be in "Our Town."

Thursday

Well, it started off nicely, but things got murky later. R.E. agent Kim emailed me the Certificate of  Occupancy, which means the house pass...