Thursday, March 03, 2011

Went to Manahawkin to the SOCH thrift shop, but found nothing suitable for the play. Made an appointment to get the income tax done. Stopped at Shop-Rite and otherwise putzed around.
I let my subscription to Vanity Fair lapse--I just don't have enough time to read magazines--but for some reason, they keep sending it--okay by me. Loved this month's issue--"Hollywood!" Stories on Lauren Bacall at 86, and Eva Marie, about the same age, Mel Gibson, and others. Seems to me, for all its outrageously snobbish appeal, it has some of the best writing around. There was a piece on Ireland's economic downfall that was just enthralling. Scary, too.
I'm expecting my erstwhile (oh, I just like to use that word) handyman, Brett, to come at 10 to repair the door insulation he put in before my trip.
Have had insomnia ever since I got back. Fall asleep easily, but wake between 2 and 3 am and can't get back. Darn, I hope this doesn't continue.
WIDER: From the incomparable Chris Hedges:
We are wasting $700 million a day to pay for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, while our teachers, firefighters and police lose their jobs, while we slash basic assistance programs for the poor, children and the elderly, while we turn our backs on the some 3 million people being pushed from their homes by foreclosures and bank repossessions and while we do nothing to help the one in six American workers who cannot find work. These wars have taken hundreds of thousands of lives. They have pushed millions into refugee or displacement camps. They have left young men and women severely crippled and maimed. They have turned our nation into an isolated pariah, fueling the very terrorism we seek to defeat. And they cannot be won. The sooner we leave Iraq and Afghanistan the sooner we will save others and finally save ourselves.
But the full essay needs to be read, especially our casual murder of children:
http://www.opednews.com/articles/No-Other-Way-Out-by-Chris-Hedges-110228-844.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's called "Jet Lag" Give it a week to pass.

Mimi said...

Oh!

Tuesday

Sent a welcome e-mail to my new tenants, mother and daughter, Laura and Prudence. I must remember to check to see if I need to send anything...