Friday, March 11, 2011

Terrible news from Tokyo. I was awakened at 4:45 with a web cam call from son, P. Told me there was a major earthquake--8.9--about 80 miles away. Trains not running,his gas service off. They felt some of it and things fell off shelves, but they're okay. Fires starting and great damage elsewhere. Will look on T.V. Thank heavens it wasn't closer to them, so he and N. are safe. N's parents, who live near them, are okay and so is her brother, although he's stuck at work, a distance from where he lives. Hey, it's just as well this didn't happen last month when I was there. Would have scared me to death.
Yesterday, after a leisurely breakfast, Betty and I went up to Manahawkin to the SOCH thrift shop. I was looking for a clip-on tie and thin belt for my Our Town role, Betty just looking. I didn't find anything, but she bought a beautiful long sweater and a tablecloth. We then stopped at the Tuckerton store--didn't see anything there--and went next door to good old Dynasty Diner for lunch. I had a big, fat, greasy, 10,000 calorie hamburger and a beer, my favorite hot weather meal--. Oh, the weather's not hot? My mistake, heh, heh. Betty left after, but I'm going down to her place today--girls just want to have fun!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad that your family is OK. I was thinking about them today at work when I heard about it. Hope one never comes to DE since we are only a mile from the ocean.

Mimi said...

When I was a kid, we lived within sight and sound of the Atlantic and I used to worry about what we called "tidal waves." I think DE is pretty safe, but who knows? Thanks for your concern, my friend.

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...