Wednesday, March 30, 2011

There follows the sorry saga of the end of my friendship with B.J.'s. I had let my membership lapse, believing it wasn't worth $48 a year, and was going to ask Susan to pick me up some things next time she was there. Yesterday, I was touched to receive an individual, personal note from Mr. B.J.--well, maybe it was a printed offer that fifty thousand others got--inviting me back free for a 60-day period. You had to "activate" it at the desk, I did, and found it now costs FIFTY dollars a year to join. Said I'd think about it. Decided to stock up on the things I always got at B.J.'s that I like to get in bulk, or can't get elsewhere: a certain brand and type (15 cal. a cup) of popcorn, a large loaf of pumpernickel, a three-pound tub of cottage cheese, Harvestland frozen chicken strips, and a large container of Mrs. Dash. Was horrified to discover the only thing they had was the Mrs. Dash. I checked at the desk and was told the other items were discontinued. Hey, they made my decision for me. Conceivably, I'll go back within the two-month free period, but after that? So long, B.J.'s!
Rehearsal last night went well. We did a full run, although with gaps because Julie and a few others weren't there. Her college-aged daughter was, though, and I was so pleased when she introduced herself after and complimented me on my performance, saying, "You own that part," and so on. So great to hear that. The directing style of Barbara and Tonya is more in the realm of "if you do it right, little reaction, if wrong, we'll let you know." I respond better to Tara C.'s (Steel Magnolias) method of honest criticism, which includes not only correction, but praise. Last night, Tara K., as Emily in the cemetery scene when she says goodbye to the world, was so good we all cheered, but that was initiated by Jim, not the directors.
Anyway, it gave me a lift to hear that somebody liked my performance.

No comments:

Thursday

Up and at 'em after a pretty good sleep. Didn't do a whole lot in the morning besides making my lunch. Left about 10:30 to meet Dian...