Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Happily, I'm the recipient of a beautiful, hand-knit wool scarf and two pair of knitted booties. They're from my new friend, Libby B.; her husband has some kind of partial paralysis in his legs and I lent him Pat's transport chair. He can keep it as long as he needs it, which I'm afraid, will be for life. She was so grateful she gave me the terrific handmade gifts.
Went to rehearsal last night, although my part wasn't covered. Just wanted to get into it. Director Tonya had costumes there and I selected a skirt, blouse, and hat, more or less in 1906 style. Found the skirt is much too big, so will return it and try for another. Maybe I'll go to the thrift store and see if I can find anything appropriate.
Talked to Betty, who's coming to stay over on Tuesday. We'll go to lunch, too. Going with Barb H. and her sister, Pat G., on a van tour on Friday.
WIDER: Fred Reed, cynical and profane, is one of my heroes. His work shines with so much truth, it hurts. Hurts bad. This is just a portion of a recent essay:
America is the world’s greatest debtor nation, China the greatest creditor. We cannot possibly repay what we owe, so we must either default or inflate. If another choice exists, I am unaware of it. And yet the government spends, spends, spends, and borrows, borrows, borrows. No one is in charge. No one cares. All line their own pockets. Wait.
Rationally, this would seem a good time to let go of unaffordable luxuries. But no. The US continues to buy things it can’t pay for, to play roles it can no longer maintain, because it pains the national vanity no longer to be the biggest kid on the block. The monkey can’t let go.
The millstone around the American neck is the Pentagon. The direct cost alone of feeding the military contractors is almost mortal to a sinking economy: $720 billion this year, plus another $120 billion requested...
The rest is here:
http://www.fredoneverything.net/MonkeyTrap.shtml

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...