Saturday, May 01, 2010

What a terrifically nice day we had! The D.'s and I left at 10:00, Frank driving, on a perfect day--brilliantly sunshiny, warm, but not hot, and with only mild breezes. Luckily, the Dorset Avenue bridge is now open. I took them over that and straight down to Atlantic Avenue, pointing out Betty's old house, which looks like a million bucks. I had prepared a little album with pictures of my old haunts taken when I was a child. A lot has changed, of course, and as I shared it with the D.'s, we enjoyed comparing the old and new sites.
We stopped first at City Hall, a beautiful old building, erected in 1928. Admired the architecture and original tiles and other fittings, then stopped in the mayor's office. She wasn't there, but I asked the secretary about the pictures of the old days that used to line the hall and she took us into another room to show them. One depicted St. James before the convent was built--how great to see that!
We then drove a few blocks away to the Historical Society. Madeline D., an old friend from my childhood, was there and we chatted with her, then examined the artifacts and pictures. We strolled to the boardwalk and admired the views, then walked over to St. James. Went into the church, and then the school. It happened to be lunchtime and Ann, the secretary, said we probably shouldn't go upstairs at that time, as it would be swarming with kids. No problem, as that wasn't necessary anyway, and I suggested lunch.
We parked across from Betty's--and Mother's old house--on Washington Avenue, and ate at Hannah G.'s. Of course, it's a neighborhood place, crowded and noisy, but great fun and the food is good. After a leisurely meal, we went to Rosborough Avenue. I knew Dee was in Pennsy, but we climbed up the steps to the porch, then to the backyard and I pointed out the changes since I was a kid.
The next stop was Lucy The Elephant, which they greatly enjoyed. We saw the video on its history, and Frank took pictures when we went up to the howdah on top.
To top off the tour, I suggested the breakwater at Longport. The ocean was tranquil yesterday, but I mentioned how wild it is during a storm, especially in the winter.
That was our day and it was such fun. I know the D.'s enjoyed it, and I sure did. It was a bit before 4:00 when we got home and I stopped over at the V.'s, then at Marge's just to visit and chat.
It's so much fun to go back to where I came from--and so satisfying to know where I am now.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...