Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What a day. After an ordinary start, it sped way up. Walked with Susan, as usual, then went to exercise at the clubhouse, had breakfast, and drove to B.J.'s to pick up supplies. Got home about 12:00 and Mary S. called, saying she'd be going to our Breeze newspaper meeting early and asked if I could, too. I barely had time to change, but got there okay. The owner, Bill, was very cordial and forthcoming about info on the venture, but I've been there, done that. That's okay, though. After he left, we had a regular meeting and I was asked to be the liaison in touch with our rep at the publishing company, Natalie. When I got home, I called her to introduce myself, so all that was okay.
After changing, I intended to go the the cemetery to water the flowers, but before I left, I idly looked at my e-mail. What was this? A message from the woman at Holy Spirit, with the write-up on Pat--word for word, from the obit I wrote, but that's okay--but also a mention of the "Sports Awards Ceremony" tonight at 7:00, at which he'll be a part.
What!? What ceremony? Isn't the scholarship award ceremony on the 18th? I tried to call the woman, then anybody at the school, but of course, by this time, everybody was gone. I jumped in the car, drove the 25 miles to Holy Spirit and tried to find somebody--anybody--to tell me if I had the date wrong for the scholarship award or what. Nobody knew, of course, and after questioning the baseball coach--there was a game going on--and cleaning people, I was stumped. Finally drove all the way home, changed, slapped on some makeup, and drove back.
Got there and went in the auditorium to see trophies lined up on the stage and people arranging them. Appealed to several, showed them the e-mail I had printed out, and they consulted others, made phone calls, and were very accommodating. The upshot was, my husband had no "part" in the awards ceremony last night, the scholarship ceremony was still on, and I drove a total of a hundred miles to no purpose.
Oh, well. Got home and settled in with my popcorn and wine. Received a phone call from sister Betty--she rarely calls in the evening--then one from friend, Mary H., then from a high school friend, Jeanne P. After a long talk, we decided to meet for dinner in Lambertville next week. Stumbled to bed and woke up late--at 6:00--this morning.
Today has gotta be better than yesterday.

No comments:

Thursday

Left for the mall and Target a bit after 10:00. Returned the two large towels, picked up two packages of blueberries, then walked to The Mar...