Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Awards Ceremony last night was wonderful. Officially called "Senior Academic/Activities Awards Program," it was held in the Holy Spirit High School auditorium at 7 pm. I met Pat's dear niece, Donna, at her house at 5:00 and she took me to Smithville Inn for dinner. Got to the ceremony in plenty of time and was told to sit up front in the reserved section.
There were lots of scholarship monies from colleges awarded, some in the thousands and thousands of dollars. I assume that means the seniors must attend and tuition will be covered. I hadn't expected to be asked to speak, but I was. Up on stage at the microphoned podium, I was a little nervous, but okay. I mentioned that Pat was a star football player and had probably graduated before most of the people in the room were born. I choked up a little, but got through. I then named the student who had won. There was a kind of happy gasp, then applause--I guess it hadn't been known before that. The kid, Daniel McNair, came up on stage and I gave him the certificate, then a hug. Donna took pictures and later, found Daniel and took others.
I'm so glad I did it and I want to continue for at least next year. The evening was so good--bittersweet, but I was glad my husband's name was out there. It's been more than half a century since he played, but nobody who saw it will ever forget that 74-yard run back against Atlantic High.

No comments:

Tuesday And Noreen

I had planned to go to Verizon first before my lunch with Noreen. It's down Mills Street from the mall, where the transit center is, too...