Saturday, May 29, 2010

It was such a delight to see Peg again last night. She and Walter are snowbirds (Florida) and were gone for the winter. As mentioned yesterday, we met at Spiaggia e Luna ("Moon Over The Beach," one of my favorite restaurant names) with great pleasure.
The place was packed--Memorial Day weekend at the shore, you know--but comfortably and festively so and it was such fun. We talked and talked and talked, of course, over a leisurely meal (seafood for her, chicken Marsala for me) and the bottle of Riesling I brought. After two hours or so, we continued our talk outside in the parking lot for another hour or so, ranging from long-ago days at St. James Grammar School to the maybe less compelling present.
Earlier, I went to the cemetery with the idea swinging around to Bob's and replacing the pansies with dianthus. However, I saw that the pansies look better, so deferred the decision and just watered at both the graves.
Talked to sister Betty; she has to go to UCLA today to see a hematologist who specializes in platelet counts. There is some concern about her bleeding problem, as she's been told she should have an angiogram. Betty called me back right after we hung up to remind me that yesterday was the birthday of the Dionne Quintuplets. Yes, yes, my little girls--only two still above ground, I'm afraid--and long-time major interest are seventy-six years old now.
Wider: From John Caruso, referring to Those Who Believe: "(Their belief) boil(s) down to a quasi-religious faith in Obama's good intentions, which too many people are clinging to despite an Everest-sized (and ever-growing) mountain of contrary evidence." John goes on to mention what seems to be the belief of the starry-eyed that Obama has some kind of future benign agenda, notwithstanding his enthusiastic embrace of death-dealing items like drones:
"Here's a thought: not only should we ask ourselves "What if Bush did it?"—we should also assume that if Obama did it, it was because it was a part of his real agenda."
Yeah, that's what I've been saying.

No comments:

Wednesday

Busy, but not in a good way. I'm sure nobody else would want to read it, but I've elaborated on my entry a few spots down entitled &...