Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Modern Life Sometimes Sucks...

 ...and some, but happily not all, of yesterday did. We in the area had been notified by Con Ed that due to the need for maintenance, electrical power would be out from 7:00 pm Sunday to 6:00 am Monday. Okay, I was prepared with my little battery-operated lantern and lots of candles (candles and throws are what people give old ladies for gifts; I'd just as soon have a good wine) and my laptop operated on its own for a time during the outage.

BUT...I got up at 6:30 yesterday, late for me, and it was still out. Good grief, I needed my coffee, what to do? I got dressed, thinking I'd bus to the mall, where the outage wasn't. Happily, though, as I was walking past Von's, I noticed cars in the parking lot. I went in and, sure enough, they were open--they have a generator. Got coffee at the Starbucks there and  happily went home with it. 

HMM...but how could I have my usual breakfast if I couldn't heat up my oatmeal? I settled for bread with pretend butter, instead. I wasn't, however, about to stay in without electricity, so I packed a lunch, got my cart and bused first to WinCo for the Greek whole wheat pita I like, then to Office Max for file folder tabs. Walked over to say hello to Greg, then to the Barnes's & Noble shopping center, where I knew there were some benches in a leafy tree area. There I enjoyed my lunch.

Got on the bus for home and texted Suzanne to see if the power was back on. Yes, and I got in about 3:00. Suzanne's door was open and she asked me to come in, which I did and we had a long talk. Our neighbor, Chuck, also stopped in. Chuck is probably in his early seventies and has lived here even longer than Suzanne has--I think about 25 years. Long divorced, no kids and I'd like to get to know him better, especially as he was in the Peace Corps. 

After our talk, I went next door to my place, but shortly after, Suzanne knocked, as she had more to discuss, which I won't mention, as they're confidential. Later, I texted Vickie to see if she was available to chat today at 5:00 or so. She was and is, so I'll see her later.

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...