Saturday, September 17, 2022

Friday Also

This is a long one and probably incoherent, but I'm so sick of the whole no-internet problem, I'm just not going to try to revise. Sorry.

My little dinner party turned out nicely, but before that--DISASTER!

But before that--T.O.P.S. Lora picked me up and it was the usual puzzlement: I lost a pound at home (to 127.8), and gained one at T.O.P.S (130.6). I was pleased when Lora invited me to Bingo at her community on Thursday evening. She's a very successful travel agent, not much older than my older son, who's 63. (She has some major personal problems and we talk about that a lot.) Anyway, I said I'd like to go.

And before that--at five something, when I got up, I sat down to send off to the wide world my little doings of Thursday, but darn, once again, I had no internet. Called Yandoo and, wonder of wonders, two guys came and were here for an hour. Unfortunately, they couldn't restore it; said there was too much data on it, also, that I need a new router. Long story short, I walked over to Asurion, right in the Von's shopping center, and signed up for its monthly repair deal. Tyler, the nice young man there, said I should bring it in after I get a new router, so will do.

As for dinner: Jim got here early, about 4:45, but that was okay. We sat and chatted until Vickie came about ten later. She was carrying a large tote, which contained her non-alcoholic wine (she, Suzanne, and I have gotten in the habit of bringing our own drinks when we get together). I was taken aback to see she had also brought a quarter of a watermelon and four large chocolate eclairs. It may seem churlish of me, but I was annoyed, although I didn't show it. She had texted to see if she could bring anything, I responded "just your glamorous self," but she brought this anyway. Now I know she has little money (would love to retire, but can't afford to) and I had made the ice cream everybody likes, so really didn't need dessert. However, I tried to respond with grace and it was okay.

Served garlic chicken, fresh broccoli, and the cornbread I had made from scratch earlier in the day. Of course, I included wine--the peach and blueberry I had bought at Target, plus red for Jim--and my own beer. Added some crystal pickles and it turned out to be a simple, but really good meal. The ice cream, of course, made a big hit--Jim asked for seconds--and I did put the eclairs out, too.

1 comment:

iloveac said...

Eclairs and Ice cream...yum, yum. We frequently have eclairs here for dessert. I remember the eclairs of my childhood that were filled with custard. The ones we get here are filled with some kind of 'fluff'. They're OK, but nowhere near what we got in 1948 at the corner store.

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...