Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Old Friends, Vaccines, And More Eliot

A good day, because active and engaging.  After breakfast, about 9:00, I called my old pal, Doris Goodenough. Doris had worked the library at Rider when I was still in the support ranks. We had a falling out--over something petty, can't even remember what--and I haven't had any contact with her for certainly, more than twenty years. We were good chums for quite a while, though, and I just started thinking about her.  We had a great, hour-long talk. She used to go back and forth between Lawrenceville and where she now lives all year in Chincoteague, Virginia, but just sold the house in Jersey. Anyway, it was great fun--we brought each other up to date on family--I knew her other son, Michael, too--and she now has a four-year-old grandson. She asked me to send Koushin's picture, which I did via email. Doris then called me a few hours later to chat again. This time, she asked me to send pictures of Vivian and Violet, which I will. 

Later, I called our mutual friend, Marilyn Machmer, to tell her and we caught up with each other, too. Marilyn graduated from Westminster before Rider bought it and is an organist, besides still being with the state. It's hard to believe, but Marilyn is now 65, not much older than my oldest child. I always felt such an affinity with her; she's one of the most guileless and good-hearted people I know. Her fiancĂ©, Sam, died suddenly quite  few years ago and what a blow for Marilyn. Anyway, we had a wonderful catch-up and I hope to see her when I get to Jersey--still hoping that will be in October. 

After my first talk with Doris, I walked to the CVS at the Smart 'n' Final shopping center and got my Pfizer booster. I was asked if I wanted a flu shot, too, and sure, why not?  Got both, bought some Romaine and a spaghetti squash, then stopped at The Dollar Tree for two more cute little containers. Home, I did a fair amount of food prep, including preparing the squash and a baked apple. I then moved several things around and finally hit on a nice way to store and display my beans, rice, pasta, and so on:

 
I may get some more containers, though, as I think there's too much white. What is it? No-calorie sweetener. I put a small amount on my oatmeal every morning, but I think I bought too much of it. I also switched around a few other things and even put my "prosperity tree" on the patio.

I'm continuing to study The Wasteland, and was bemused that Eliot wrote the following about teeth. I CAN RELATE!

When Lil’s husband got demobbed, I said—
I didn’t mince my words, I said to her myself,
HURRY UP PLEASE ITS TIME
Now Albert’s coming back, make yourself a bit smart.
He’ll want to know what you done with that money he gave you
To get yourself some teeth. He did, I was there.
You have them all out, Lil, and get a nice set,
He said, I swear, I can’t bear to look at you.
And no more can’t I, I said, and think of poor Albert,
He said, I swear, I can’t bear to look at you.
And no more can’t I, I said, and think of poor Albert,
He’s been in the army four years, he wants a good time,
And if you don’t give it him, there’s others will, I said.
Oh is there, she said. Something o’ that, I said.
Then I’ll know who to thank, she said, and give me a straight look.
HURRY UP PLEASE ITS TIME
If you don’t like it you can get on with it, I said.
Others can pick and choose if you can’t.
But if Albert makes off, it won’t be for lack of telling.
You ought to be ashamed, I said, to look so antique.
(And her only thirty-one.)
I can’t help it, she said, pulling a long face,
It’s them pills I took, to bring it off, she said.
(She’s had five already, and nearly died of young George.)
The chemist said it would be all right, but I’ve never been the same.
You are a proper fool, I said.
Well, if Albert won’t leave you alone, there it is, I said,
What you get married for if you don’t want children?
HURRY UP PLEASE ITS TIME
Well, that Sunday Albert was home, they had a hot gammon,
And they asked me in to dinner, to get the beauty of it hot—
HURRY UP PLEASE ITS TIME
HURRY UP PLEASE ITS TIME
Goonight Bill. Goonight Lou. Goonight May. Goonight.
Ta ta. Goonight. Goonight.
Good night, ladies, good night, sweet ladies, good night, good night.


              


No comments:

Sunday

The Camarillo Garden Tour with Suzanne, but as it turned out, I greatly enjoyed it. We left at noon, drove to Camarillo and started at the f...