Monday, September 27, 2021

Avocados, Olivia, and T.S. Eliot

A reasonably okay Sunday, but nothing to write home about (another of my mother's old-timey sayings!). I did complete the crossword, which for some weird reason, always pleases me. Did a bleach wash while I was having breakfast, then gathered up the trash and recycle to take them to the bins. When I walked out, I found an inscripted paper bag at my doorstep:

From my neighbor, Olivia, whose sister has an avocado grove. She's given me some before, but not four at a time. I knew I probably wouldn't be able to use them all, so I walked around to Vickie's and gave her one, then rang Suzanne's bell and ditto. She asked me in and we chatted for a half hour or so. It seems her third niece (in Washington State) has COVID, but the other two in Idaho are recovering.

I messaged niece Carolyn to see when she could bring Betty for lunch. She and husband are going to Texas next week for his aunt's funeral, so we settled on Wednesday, October 6th. That should be equal parts fun and gruesome. 

Bused to town after lunch. Just strolled Main Street, which was very crowded, although it was overcast. It gives me a lift to see people enjoying themselves.

For some reason, I started reading T.S. Eliot on the laptop. I was never a big fan of his, but read Prufrock, then The Wasteland.  It's the one that starts with "April is the cruellest month...." Everybody knows that quote, but few know where it's from.  Some of his stuff is pretty obscure, but some I like a lot, i.e.:
 
Here is no water but only rock
Rock and no water and the sandy road
The road winding above among the mountains
Which are mountains of rock without water
If there were water we should stop and drink
Amongst the rock one cannot stop or think...






3 comments:

Pat said...

Not a poetry buff at all. I only had one undergrad course but this seems pretty deep. Then again it does show how a picture can be drawn with words only. Hmmm, if water were there it would calm my mind and help me think...huh?

Mimi said...

That's not a bad observation, Pat, but there's a lot more. I wouldn't start with Eliot if you want to get acquainted with poetry. William Butler Yeats is just sublime, especially "The Folly of Being Comforted" and "The Second Coming"--not obscure at all; Emily Dickinson is wonderful, (I put a quote from her on my and Pat's tombstone); there's Shakespeare, of course ("Full fathom five thy father lies..."), and lots of others. None of these are obscure, all
wonderful to read and ponder.

Pat said...

Thanks Rosemary. I'm not an imaginative soul ...mostly a factual one. The one couse in Poetry was enough for me.

Saturday

Instead of taking my usual sandwich when I meet Diane for lib lunch, I made a salad. Walked over the footbridge, dropped the book off at the...