Saturday, February 20, 2021

T.O.P.S. And Sandy Ottenberg

 As it turned out, Lolly didn't have a reaction to the second COVID shot, so she came for T.O.P.S. Since I had kept the scale, I weighed myself at home on it, in addition to my own scale. I remained the same according to the latter, i.e. 127.2. Interestingly (well, it wouldn't interest anybody but me and even I ain't exactly riveted by the news), the T.O.P.S. scale read 127.8 at home and 127.9 outside. Anyhoo, I've been maintaining at the 127 area for about three years now.

After breakfast, I walked to Ralph's for ground turkey, dry black beans, and tuna. Walked back, too, so got three in. Had lunch and thought I'd venture to the Cat's Cradle Thrift Store, which is in midtown, not downtown. There's a branch of The Market not far away and I thought I'd stop there, too. But I didn't. Had lunch and just didn't feel like going. 

Instead, I sat at the laptop and looked at Atlantic City Memory Lane 50s to 70s. I had posted about a Rosborough Avenue family, the Ottenbergs, whom I remember so well and I got lots of responses, prominently from a woman whose cousin Sandy Ottenberg had married. She posted several pictures and actually wore Sandy's bridal gown when she was married herself. To top it off, she was walked down the aisle by Stevie, the little brother we used to run away from. Sadly, Sandy died last year. Her daughter is a real estate agent in Brigantine and I emailed her. Why? I don't know. Just nostalgic for those days. When I realize we moved seventy years ago, I can't get my mind around it.

I received this reply from Sandy's daughter: 

How wonderful to receive your kind email. My mother was a great person and she is missed so much. She was an amazing mother, a great middle school teacher, and a beloved friend to many. We lost my sister Lynda to cancer 19 years ago this August 23rd. Both Mom and Dad never truly received from that and I believe they both stayed on earth just to take care of me. I lost Dad August 23rd but 2019. So, when anyone comes forward to talk about any of them, I am so grateful. Any time you want to share a story, please know it will be welcome with open arms. Thank you for reaching out, and stay well in this crazy pandemic.

I'll certainly write back with some of what I remember about Sandy and her family. They had a jewelry store, Alfred's, on Atlantic Avenue in A.C. with a clock in front of it. I remember the clock. Mr. Ottenberg had lost a leg during WW i--that's one, not two--and had an artificial one. 

No comments:

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...