Tuesday, February 16, 2021

My House And My Ancestors

My house is rented; new people move in March 1, the day after Eileen leaves! It's a long, involved story I won't go into, but it started with info from Kim about another prospect I rejected (so did my children), then the ones who look good. This is a couple--not sure if they're married  or not, as she uses a different name--younger (63 and 58), both work (he's a lineman for AC Electric), and excellent credit rating. Now, of course, I'm agonizing over whether I should have listed it for more. However, Kim said she thought it was a lot and she knows the market there.

I was also heavily involved yesterday in the Facebook site, Vintage Philadelphia. I had posted the picture as my Mom as a bride and, from that, two guys on the site found all kinds of historic documents, including this newspaper article from the Philadelphia Inquirer of July 7, 1890, which quotes my grandfather, the barber.  (His first initial was "G" for "George," not "E."

The guys on the site also posted other Figenshu items, including the certificate of my mother's baptism, which took place on March 9, 1902:
And information about my grandfather's estate:
I think that was considered a fairly large estate in the year of his death (1929).  That "and upward" phrase is fascinating--what could it possibly imply?








 

2 comments:

iloveac said...

According to an inflation calculator the dollar value of $14,000 in 1929 is approx. $220K today. Inflation shot up in '68.

Mimi said...

Pat, two of my nephews came up with the dollar value of the estate, also. All three of you have different amounts, but we can trust that it wasn't inconsequential. I wonder if he had other sources of income besides his barber shop. He did employ at least three men, though. Maybe he invested wisely or something.
-

Satisfying Saturday

 I did it, I did it, I did it;                                                                                                              ...