Sunday, January 22, 2023

Social Saturday

It was a good day with lots of enjoyable contacts.

For one, it occurred to me that I hadn't spoken to Muckie for a while, so I called her about 10:00 am, my time. Incredibly, we talked for one hour and forty minutes. What about? Well, for one, her radiation cancer treatment, which was grueling, but was over in five days, as opposed to the month or more conventional radiation takes. However, I don't think I could do it, as it involves being immobile, wrapped so the arms are pressed against the sides and--the worst part in my estimation--being entirely encased in a capsule, head to toe, that way for two hours. But Muckie did it--she's my hero, not just for that, but because she knows she won't survive this damn pancreatic cancer, and she's okay with that. I feel easy saying the word "cancer" with her, which I don't always with others who have or had the disease.

We talked a whole bunch about Holy Spirit, too, of course--Teddy Mooney and Al and Janie Moylan and Chas and George Wimberg and Margie and and so many others. Speaking of George, I mentioned that he always comes to our '54 reunions, although he never attended HSHS--went to prep school right from St. James. Muckie assured me that I was entirely wrong: He went for three years and only transferred to Malvern for his senior year. I don't know how I ever misremembered that. I had also forgotten that he and Muckie were an item until some blowup or other. Muck said it was a long story, but she'd tell me next time we talked. I also forgot that Cassie Wayland's surviving sibling is--or was, I'm not sure she's still living--named Alice.. I could swear she used a nickname, but I don't remember what it was. I do remember she lost both her husband her son to testicular cancer--what a horror. 

Anyway, it was so good.   Although Muckie is two years older than I am, she wasn't in my brother, Frank's '52 class, but graduated in '53. It seems she just missed, so was one of the older ones graduating that year. Betty and I were actually the youngest, or two of the  youngest. If we had been born ten days later, we would have started school the following  year.

We also discussed at length our beliefs or lack thereof. She has jettisoned a lot of the crapola we were all fed growing up, but has some idea of a deity. She also--interestingly, I think--considers probable the idea of aliens visiting earth (I think that makes more sense than most of the organized religions). There was a lot more, but we finally wound up and said goodbye. I'm so glad to be her friend now--I wish she and Betty and I could all get together--what a talk fest that would be.

After lunch, I walked to Smart 'n' Final for salmon and vegetables; walked back, too, so got a little more than three miles in. Got a text from Suzanne, asking if I was available for a social session at 4:30 ("and bring your own drink"). Sure, and I went next door. She invited Vickie, too, but she was out somewhere. So I had another good talk with another good friend--not, of course, quite as free-wheeling. 😁

Top it off, I talked with some even closer to me: Mike and Paula video-messaged me and we had such a good conversation. It seems Violet and Paula are going to make French onion soup, which I used to made years ago. Mike remembered the ramekins I used to serve it and I told him I still have one. These most be more than fifty years old and I found the one I have left. What I want to do is send it to Violet--I think they'll all get a kick out of it.

Today, Don't Drink The Water at the Conejo Theatre in Thousand Oaks. Julie, Lora, and I will go to lunch first.   

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...