Monday, January 16, 2023

Sunday And Margarita (But Not the Liquid Kind)

Crossword okay, but I didn't get all. I called Noreen to invite her for lunch with Jim and me tomorrow and she accepted with pleasure. 

Left at 10:40 for my 11:30 lunch date with new friend, Margarita. I had planned to take the bus, but decided to walk, instead. I had gone a short way when Ellen called just to chat. We talked for 20 minutes or so, until I actually reached Jasmine Thai; I enjoyed it so much I didn't even register I was walking. El had said they had closed for a time, because of a "family tragedy." However, I waited around until they opened (at 11:30, actually), then said goodbye to Ellen.

Margarita arrived about the same time and we settled down to get to know each other better. Boy, did we---we were there for almost three hours. Margarita is 74 (I thought she was younger), was married twice, no children, first husband abusive, second died 5 years ago, is interested in Unitarianism, had been a hippie in her youth, and has two cats whom she adores. She suggested we might attend the Santa Paula Theatre sometime, as she has season tickets. Sure, I'd love to and we had an enjoyable time. She asked if she could take me home when we finally left, but I preferred to walk--I need to walk--and she didn't press. Luckily, the rain (yes, more rain!) held off until I got home, as I had no rain gear on.

When I got home, it occurred to me I didn't have anything in for lunch company, so I put on my boots, grabbed my umbrella and went over to Von's. Got a family-sized Viola! garlic chicken and heavy cream; I'll make ice cream for dessert. 

Did more jigsaws, including one of grandson Joel, Assumption Church, and the one below from ten years ago: Betty, me, Helen, and Larry at the big December gathering in Florida. Helen's gone, Betty's as good as gone, and that leaves Larry, 90, and yours truly, still alive and, if not kickin', at least our hearts are still tickin.' (Boy, was I tubby!)

No comments:

Tuesday

At nine, I called the Access Van to take me to Ellen's retirement party today and was horrified to learn they don't go to her school...