Thursday, January 19, 2023

Wednesday With Women and Howard

I took off for The Market at 10:30; and got lettuce and a few other things there. At Wal-Mart, I bought eggs (six bucks a dozen!) and oatmeal. Bused home and stopped at Von's for spinach and the item I couldn't find at either of the other stores: onions (what, is there and onion flu now?). 

Did some food prep when I got home, combining three pounds of tomatoes and two big onions, adding olive oil, vinegar, and seasonings, and into the oven to roast they went. Also boiled some eggs, as I want to pack lunch and eat outside, if the weather allows. Showered and prepared to go to the BCNN Happy Hour, then got disturbing news from son, Patrick: His wife, N., was hit be a car when she was bicycling. She was taken to the hospital, thoroughly examined, and x-rayed and there's nothing broken, but she's sore and bruised on the left side. Tokyo is very congested, of course, and the driver hadn't come to a full stop, so his insurance will pay for a new bike. As for N.'s care, they have universal health care, so there's no expense there. 

Julie picked me up at 3:30 and we drove to Oxnard, picked up Regina, and went to The Waterview. There were about 20 attendees and it was enjoyable, now that I'm getting to know more members. I had a mushroom bruschetta and a blackberry Margarita. The latter was good, but was served in a jar, not a fluted glass; was rimmed with sugar, not salt; and tasted nothing like a Margarita. 

Got home about 6:30--it was full dark!--and watched a bio about a (now deceased) Hollywood producer named Alan Carr. Happily, I slept well and just got up at 5:30. Couldn't resist jigsawing this hundred-year-old picture of my Aunt Marie's husband, Howard Reifsnyder, on a ship. Second from left, he was so handsome; unfortunately, he died in 1932, of typhoid.

No comments:

Monday

Washed sheets, changed the bed, showered and washed my hair before breakfast. Ate, then fussed around with this and that. I paid the water b...