Sunday, December 19, 2021

Saturday, Pickles, Jim, And Julie

Jim picked me up at 12:30, then took me to lunch for my birthday. He stopped on the way there to pick up mail at the P.O. I can never understand why he still keeps a box, since he gets mail at home, too. He said he moved around a lot at one time (he taught at several colleges in L.A.), so this insured he got  his mail. But good grief, he's lived in the same place for more than ten years and now teaches only at the college--odd. 

For lunch I chose Brophy Bros. at the harbor, which may or may not have been a good place to go. Being Saturday, shortly before Christmas, and a nice sunny day, the seaport was jammed and so was Brophy's. It would have been a twenty-minute wait to sit in the room overlooking the water, so we opted for an inside table. It was okay, but the place was noisy. We both ordered tuna melts, which came with Cole slaw (the good, made on the premises, kind) and French fries. I could finish only about half; I just can't eat that much at one time--Jim finished every scrap. I had a beer and Jim a sparkling wine. 

We talked, of course, but didn't have our usual rambling discussions; it just wasn't as comfortable as when we lunch at my place. When we left, I asked Jim to drop me at the mall, near where he lives, as I wanted to look for a birthday gift for Betty (we don't exchange for Christmas). I thought she could use a nice warm sweater, but saw absolutely nothing appropriate either at Target or Macy's, so will have to look further.  

Bused home and stopped at Von's to pick up cucumbers and onions. I made a batch and a half of crystal pickles as little gifts for Carolyn and Steve and their families, whom we'll be with on Tuesday. As directions direct, I put them in the freezer and will defrost later and glass containers gussied up with wraps and bows. I have two, but they're small--wonder if I should look for slightly larger ones. 

I'm still struggling with the Jim verse, but hope to finish it soon, then make his and Julie's cards and get  them in the mail. Julie will be picking me up at 10:30 today and we'll go to the farmers market at Channel Islands Harbor. 

 

No comments:

Julie picked me up at 9:15 and we went to the BCNN meeting. The program. by the owner of Otto & Sons Nursery in Fillmore, was on growing...